CREST teams, consisting of 2-10 members, must register to participate in the program. Team members will participate in a brief survey both before and after the project to allow project managers to assess the benefits of the program. After registering, team members will receive an email with a link to the survey, as well as information on how to access the CREST site on the QUBESHub.
Teams will be asked to share team information with other CREST teams within the closed QUBESHub. They can post team photos, create a private team workspace to organize their project, and interact with other teams in the forum.
Virtual CREST Discussions
We will also host several Virtual CREST Discussions throughout the project. The purpose of these forums is to network and provide useful information that will help teams successfully complete their protein models. Discussions are scheduled on the following dates:
- October 16: introduction to CREST
- October 26: modeling in Jmol
- November 6: research topic
- November 14: model design troubleshooting and model design review
- November 30: nuts and bolts of writing an abstract and model description sheet
- December 12: submitting a competitive application for travel funds and/or building a model
Building a Model
There are three options for building a physical model of your protein:
- Receive a model award to have your team model built at no cost to you. (See Award Applications for more details.)
- Build your model using a desktop 3D printer at your institution. The CBM will provide online support for use of these printers in building protein models.
- Have your model built by the CBM at a grant-subsidized cost of $250.
Although modeling teams may work at their own pace on the project, any teams wishing to compete for model awards or travel awards will need to adhere to the following deadlines:
- December 10: Initial model design, abstract and model description submitted to the CBM
- December 31: Final model design, abstract and model description submitted to the CBM
- December 31: Any teams wishing to apply for model awards or travel awards must have all application materials submitted. (See Award Applications for more details.)
Teams who wish to have their model built at the CBM for a grant-subsidized cost of $250, must have their final model designs submitted by January 31 in order to assure their model will be completed in time to bring to the ASBMB CREST Conversation. For teams interested in building models at their institutions, we encourage you to start early! It takes some time to learn the tricks of model design and appropriate supports for each machine.
Register your CREST Team Today!
Questions about the CREST Program? Contact Margaret Franzen at email@example.com or 414-277-2806. We look forward to hearing from you!