Applications for Model and Travel Awards
The CREST Program has limited funding to support 1) building protein models and 2) defraying travel costs for students to attend the ASBMB meeting. Applications to apply for these funds will be available by mid-November, and all application materials must be submitted by December 31. Applications will only be accepted from active ASBMB Student Chapters.
Criteria for Selecting Model Awardees:
Team participation in:
- Posting team information on the QUBESHub
- Majority of virtual CREST Discussions
- Does the model tell a story of protein structure/function?
- Do the features displayed in the model highlight a research project?
- Does the abstract clearly describe the model?
- Does the model description sheet accurately annotate the model’s features?
- Is the model aesthetically pleasing?
The overall goal of the CREST Project is to engage early career students who are underrepresented in the science workforce. Therefore applications from students meeting these criteria will be given special consideration.
Criteria for Selecting Travel Awardees:
Teams may compete for travel awards of up to $500 to defer student costs to attend the annual ASBMB meeting. Only one travel award application may be submitted per team/institution per year. Teams wishing to apply for a travel award should decide which team member will apply for the funds. Criteria used to select travel award recipients are as follows:
- Completeness of the application
- Strength of the application essay
- Strength of the letter of recommendation provided by the ASBMB Student Chapter Advisor
- Special consideration will be given to freshmen and sophomores, or to undergraduates at institutions lacking on campus opportunities for undergraduate research.
Travel award recipients will be encouraged to present a poster (and their model) at the annual ASBMB meeting and to participate in the CREST Conversation with other CREST Modeling Teams and Dr. Hart and colleagues on April 22, 2018.
Register your CREST Team Today!
Questions about the CREST Program? Contact Margaret Franzen at email@example.com or 414-277-2806. We look forward to hearing from you!