Loan Parameters and Policies
Models MUST be at MSOE by the end of the loan period.
- Local borrowers in Southeastern Wisconsin (Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha Counties): 3 weeks. Note - borrowers from these counties will need to pick up models at the library. Please contact library staff at CBMloans@msoe.edu if you are from this region and are unable to pick up the models from the library.
- US borrowers outside the local region: 3 weeks. This loan includes delivery and return shipping time. In some situations (e.g., multiple teachers wishing to use the models in concurrent lab sections, weather related delays, or family emergencies) we may be able to extend the loan by an additional week. This extension must be approved by Lending Library staff.
- Please schedule the beginning of your loan approximately one week prior to when you need the model(s) for your classroom. We need time to process the request, and we only ship models Monday-Friday via ground transportation. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of your loan period. Due to the large increase in the use of MSOE Model Lending Library materials, it is strongly recommended that you request models well in advance.
- One time frame may be scheduled per request. You may request multiple models (up to 3) for the same time frame. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame .
- There is no charge for borrowing models. The borrower is responsible for any return shipping charges. Shipping costs depend on the size and weight of the suitcase, as well as the distance being shipped. The typical cost to ship a single suitcase ranges from $15-30. Return shipping MUST use a method that allows the shipment to be tracked, and the suitcase must be insured. Some carriers charge extra for shipping that is not in a cardboard box; you are welcome to insert the suitcase inside a cardboard box for return shipping.
- Models are available to any elementary, middle school, high school or college educator, as well as outreach staff.
Due Dates and Loan Extensions
Due to increased use of the Lending Library's resources it is critical that models are returned on or before the due date. Models must be returned by the specified due date to ensure that the maximum number of borrowers have access to these resources.
- Many models in the Lending Library are booked back-to-back for much of the year. Please keep in mind that late returns may inconvenience subsequent borrowers who have planned for using the materials in their classrooms.
- Late returns may be subject to late fees; excessive or habitual lateness may result in loss of future borrowing privileges.
- If you encounter a delay in using the models and wish to request an extension, please contact CBMLoans@msoe.edu. If the model you have is not scheduled to another borrower, we may be able to grant a one week extension on your loan.
- The normal loan period is three weeks, which includes both delivery and return shipping time. Under extenuating circumstances, extensions for an additional week may be permitted, but must be approved by Lending Library staff.
- Only one copy of any given model may be loaned at one time to a single institution.
- Up to three different types of suitcases may be checked out by a single institution at one time.
- Due to limited resources, we are unable to send additional materials. Classroom sets are designed to accommodate six groups of 4-6 students. Contents of each suitcase are included with each suitcase description.
Borrowers are responsible for return shipping costs. Pack the suitcase according to the illustration provided with the suitcase. Please insure the models for the amount indicated in each suitcase. Any damage incurred in return shipping due to improper packing will be charged to the borrower. We recommend using FedEx or UPS with "two-day ground" transportation. Make sure to get a tracking number for the shipment. Please ship models to:
Milwaukee School of Engineering
1000 N. Market Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3113
- Most borrowers use the materials in their classroom during the first week of the loan period and allow one week for shipping in order to ship at the less expensive ground rate.
- Please note that the due date listed on the loan form is the date the model must arrive back at MSOE.
- A lost model is a model that cannot be located and is not returned. In the event that a model is lost while in the custody of a borrower, the borrower (or the borrower's organization) is liable to MSOE for the cost of replacing the model. It is important that models be shipped in a manner that allows the package to be tracked. In the event that a suitcase is lost or damaged in return shipping, the borrower will need to assist MSOE Lending Library staff in filing a claim.
- Most of the models in the library are constructed of nylon and are therefore reasonably durable. However, even nylon models will break if not handled appropriately. We ask that all students be cautioned not to test the strength of the models by flexing them. In spite of this warning, we expect that some damage will occur as these models are used in your classrooms. We are prepared to repair/replace models damaged by normal wear and tear at no cost to you.
In the event that a model is damaged, it is important that you:
- Report the damaged model to us so that we can repair the model before it is loaned again.
- Tell us how the model was damaged (i.e. due to carelessness on the part of a student, or there was a structural/design problem with the model).
- Include all broken pieces when returning the model.
- If a model has not arrived by the afternoon of the specified due date, the borrower will receive an e-mail or phone call asking if the model has been mailed, and if so, when and how. Tracking number information will also be requested.
- Late returns may be subject to fines and/or a loss of borrowing privileges, beginning the day after the due date. Failure to pay the fine will result in a loss of borrowing privileges. Repetitive late returns (three times) will also result in a loss of borrowing privileges.
- The Lending Library understands that a late model is not always the fault of the borrower. Each overdue model will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The prompt return of loaned model(s) helps to ensure that other students and educators can benefit from these unique models and that the Lending Library can be maintained in a cost-efficient manner. If you have any questions or comments, please direct them to CBMLoans@msoe.edu.
Feedback and Surveys
- We are interested in your and your students' feedback regarding interaction with the model(s). Please take the time to complete the online Lending Library Survey. We need the feedback to assist in securing funding to maintain the library. This information will also inform our decisions regarding library expansion.
Additional Models That Can Be Borrowed
If you find a model in our Model Gallery (coming soon) that is not currently available through the Model Lending Library, please contact Margaret Franzen, firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 277-2806 to inquire about borrowing the model. We are delighted to loan most of these models for educational purposes when they are not needed in our programs!
Models loaned through the MSOE Lending Library are available for purchase through 3D Molecular Designs.
This unique Model Lending Library is jointly supported by MSOE Center for BioMolecular Modeling, the MSOE Walter Schroeder Library and 3D Molecular Designs. Some of the models in the Lending Library were developed with funds from NIH-SEPA and NSF-CCLI awards.