The Model Lending Library
At the MSOE Schroeder Library
A collaborative project of the MSOE Center for BioMolecular Modeling (CBM), the MSOE Walter Schroeder Library and 3D Molecular Designs (3DMD) that makes many of the physical models produced by the CBM and 3DMD freely available for short-term loan.
Response to Covid-19
The MSOE Lending Library resumed loaning materials beginning September 1, 2020. There are, however, some significant changes to loaning materials due to the Covid-19 pandemic. These changes are to reduce the risk of transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Although the MSOE Lending Library is following best practices in virus mitigation, there is no guarantee that library materials will be virus-free and patrons will borrow the materials at their own risk.
Here are the revised parameters for borrowing materials from the MSOE Lending Library:
- All requests must be made a minimum of 3 business days prior to when models will ship (or be ready to be picked up). Local borrowers will be provided with additional information about model pick up when they reserve models.
- The loan period is two weeks. Shipping time will be included for distance borrowers (one week shipping each way). Distance borrowers should select a start date for their loan one week prior to when they want the models to allow time for shipping.
- When using the models, to reduce the risk of virus transmission, borrowers are asked to:
The MSOE Model Lending Library will quarantine all returning models for seven days, then disinfect models before they will be available for loan.
- Wash/disinfect their hands before using the models, then again after using models.
- As an additional precaution, particularly if the materials are used with multiple groups of students, borrowers may wish to have students wear gloves when working with the models.
Please note that due to increased time for quarantine and disinfection, models may not be as readily available for classroom use. The MSOE Model Lending Library reserves the right to adjust these policies as the pandemic evolves.
MSOE Walter Schroeder Library
500 E. Kilbourn Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Model Return Shipping Address
MSOE Center for BioMolecular Modeling
Milwaukee School of Engineering
1000 North Market Street
Milwaukee WI 53202
Loan Parameters and Policies
Models MUST be at MSOE by the end of the loan period.
Local borrowers in Southeastern Wisconsin (Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha Counties): 2 weeks. Note - borrowers from these counties will need to pick up models at the library. Please contact library staff at CBMloans@msoe.edu if you are from this region and are unable to pick up the models from the library.
US borrowers outside the local region: 4 weeks. This loan includes delivery and return shipping time. When requesting a model, the start date should be one week prior to when you want to use the model. This will allow time to ship the model to you. We only ship models via groung transportation on Monday-Friday. You can expect the model to arrive approximately one week following the first day of your loan period. We require a signature on delivery, so please provide an address where someone will be available to sign for the suitcase.
- You must request models at least 3 business days prior to pick up/shipping. Due to the large increase in the use of MSOE Model Lending Library materials, it is strongly recommended that you request models well in advance.
- One time frame may be scheduled per request. You may request multiple models (up to 2) for the same time frame. You will need to fill out a separate request for model loans with a different time frame. You may borrow a maximum of three models in any one month period. For example, if you borrow three models on the 15th of the month, you may not borrow additional models until the 15th of the following month. Or, if you schedule to borrow models for the 3th, the 10th and the 17th of the month, you may borrow an additional model on the 3rd of the following month, another on the 10th, etc.
- There is no charge for borrowing models. The borrower is responsible for any return shipping charges. Shipping costs depend on the size and weight of the suitcase, as well as the distance being shipped. The typical cost to ship a single suitcase ranges from $20-40. Return shipping MUST use a method that allows the shipment to be tracked, but the suitcase does not need to be insured. Some carriers charge extra for shipping that is not in a cardboard box; you are welcome to insert the suitcase inside a cardboard box for return shipping.
- Models are available to any elementary, middle school, high school or college educator, as well as outreach staff.
Due Dates and Loan Extensions
- Due to increased use of the Lending Library's resources it is critical that models are returned on or before the due date. Models must be returned by the specified due date to ensure that the maximum number of borrowers have access to these resources.
- Many models in the Lending Library are booked back-to-back for much of the year. Please keep in mind that late returns may inconvenience subsequent borrowers who have planned for using the materials in their classrooms.
- Late returns may be subject to late fees; excessive or habitual lateness may result in loss of future borrowing privileges.
- If you encounter a delay in using the models and wish to request an extension, please contact CBMLoans@msoe.edu. If the model you have is not scheduled to another borrower, we may be able to grant a one week extension on your loan.
- The normal loan period is two weeks for classroom use, with an additional two weeks for delivery and return shipping time for non-regional borrowers. Under extenuating circumstances, extensions for an additional week may be permitted, but must be approved by Lending Library staff.
- Only one copy of any given model may be loaned at one time to a single institution.
- Up to three different types of suitcases may be checked out by a single institution at one time.
- Due to limited resources, we are unable to send additional materials. Classroom sets are designed to accommodate six groups of 4-6 students. Contents of each suitcase are included with each suitcase description.
- A lost model is a model that cannot be located and is not returned. In the event that a model is lost while in the custody of a borrower, the borrower (or the borrower's organization) is liable to MSOE for the cost of replacing the model. It is important that models be shipped in a manner that allows the package to be tracked. In the event that a suitcase is lost or damaged in return shipping, the borrower will need to assist MSOE Lending Library staff in filing a claim.
- Most of the models in the library are constructed of durable materials. However, even durable models will break if not handled appropriately. We ask that all students be cautioned not to test the strength of the models by flexing them. In spite of this warning, we expect that some wear and tear will occur as these models are used in your classrooms. We are prepared to repair/replace models damaged by normal wear and tear at no cost to you.
- In the event that a model is damaged, it is important that you:
- Report the damaged model to us so that we can repair the model before it is loaned again.
- Tell us how the model was damaged (i.e. due to carelessness on the part of a student, or there was a structural/design problem with the model).
- Include all broken pieces when returning the model. If the pieces are small, place in a sealed plastic bag.
- If a model has not arrived by the afternoon of the specified due date, the borrower will receive an e-mail or phone call asking if the model has been mailed, and if so, when and how. Tracking number information will also be requested.
- Late returns may be subject to fines and/or a loss of borrowing privileges, beginning the day after the due date. Failure to pay the fine will result in a loss of borrowing privileges. Repetitive late returns (three times) will also result in a loss of borrowing privileges.
- The Lending Library understands that a late model is not always the fault of the borrower. Circumstances of each overdue model will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The prompt return of loaned model(s) helps to ensure that other students and educators can benefit from these unique models and that the Lending Library can be maintained in a cost-efficient manner. If you have any questions or comments, please direct them to CBMLoans@msoe.edu.
Feedback and Surveys
- We are interested in your and your students' feedback regarding interaction with the model(s). After returning the models, you will receive an email with an invitation to participate in a 10-15 minute survey. We value your feedback, which will assist us in securing funding to maintain the library. This information will also inform our decisions regarding library expansion.
Additional Models That Can Be Borrowed
If you find a model in our Model Gallery (coming soon) that is not currently available through the Model Lending Library, please contact the Center for BioMolecular Modeling at CBMLoans@msoe.edu or (414) 277-2824 to inquire about borrowing the model. We are delighted to loan most of these models for educational purposes when they are not needed in our programs!
Models loaned through the MSOE Lending Library are available for purchase through 3D Molecular Designs.